Distance : 50km approx. (including side-trip up Mt. Taranaki)
Avg. Time : 3 days
Start / Finish :
- North Egmont Visitor’s Centre, Egmont National Park.
- For transport details, see the NZ Department of Conservation (DOC) website.
Season : October to May
Maps / Info :
- See the DOC website for a basic map and up-to-date information on the tramp. Before setting out, check with the helpful staff at the North Egmont Visitor’s centre in regards to any recent changes in track conditions.
- I used the trekking notes and map contained in Lonely Planet’s Tramping in New Zealand . IMPORTANT : Since the latest edition of this book was published , the high-level section between Kahui and Holly Hut has been closed due to a rock slide around the Pyramid stream area.
- For more detail, try the Topo map 1:50,000 Topo50 BJ29 Mt. Taranaki. The High level route is quite exposed, and if the weather turns nasty, the superior detail of the topo may well be helpful in ascertaining your position in relation to the next shelter. All maps in the Topo50 series are widely available in outdoor stores or DOC offices throughout NZ.
Route / Conditions :
- Definitely include the ascent of Mt. Taranaki as part of your itinerary. In fine weather, the 360 degree panorama from the summit is spectacular.
- Outside of holiday times, the huts are rarely crowded. Leave the tent/shelter at home.
- Sunset is gorgeous from Lake Dive hut. Well worth the added descent/ascent to get there and away.
- In clear weather, the views on this trail are stunning. Definitely go for the High-level, rather than the Low-level route.