Distance : 16.8 miles (27 km)
Avg.Time : 6-8 hours return
Start / Finish :
- Volcan Baru ranger station.
- From the nearby village of Boquete, it is about 8km to the trailhead. You should be able to take a shared taxi or have one of the Zona Urbana minibuses drop you off nearby.
Seasonality : The dry season between December and April is best for hiking.
Maps / Info :
- I used the sketch map in Bradt Publications, Backpacking in Central America . There doesn’t appear to be anything in the way of trail maps on the internet. That being said, you really don’t need a map for this walk. Just follow the dirt road.
- The tourist office in Boquete may be your best chance for up-to-date information on the hike. For online information try: http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/151683/volcan-baru.html
Route / Conditions :
- Basically you are following a dirt road all the way to the radio mast-sporting, graffiti scarred peak. Difficult to get lost as long as you keep to the road.
- Take at least 4 litres of water, as there is none along the way.
Sleeping : Day hike.
- A pretty ordinary hike along a dirt road. I do not recommend it. If you have just come across the border from Costa Rica, this will be a disappointment.