Avg.Time : 7 – 8 hours return.
Start / Finish :
- The village of La Sabana.
- Buses and minibuses run regularly between the island’s towns and villages. Note that services on Sunday are limited.
- For details of getting to and from Isla de Ometepe see ViaNica.com.
- Possible all year, however, December to February (ie. winter and the dry season) offer the best chance of good conditions. That being said, I hiked in February, and it absolutely bucketed down for all but a couple of hours of my return journey to the crater.
Maps / Info :
- The Volcan Concepcion (1610m) is still active. It last erupted in 1957.
- Even if you could find one, a map is not really necessary to climb Concepcion. Same goes for a guide. With reasonable route-finding skills and a good sense of direction you should be ok. Just keep going up until you can’t go up anymore.
- For more information regarding Isla de Ometepe see ViaNica.com or Lonely Planet’s Nicaragua or Central America guidebooks.
Route / Conditions :
- In regards to directions, your best bet is to ask as many people as possible! If you don’t feel confident about finding your way, there are plenty of locals happy to guide you to the top for a small fee.
- Even on fine days, the top of Concepcion is often shrouded in cloud. You can go from hot and humid temps for the majority of the climb, to windy and chilly conditions on the top. Be sure to bring a warm jacket.
- Carry all the water you need from La Sabana. At least 3 litres. Try to make a sunrise start in order to beat the heat of the day, in addition to giving yourself the best chance of clear weather on top.
- Beginning from La Sabana, wind your way through Plantain and Banana plantations. Climbing steadily, you eventually emerge from the plantations and surrounding forests, into an increasingly rocky and exposed landscape above the treeline.
- For accomdation options on the island, check the following link: http://www.vianica.com/visit/ometepe
- The island of Ometepe is something special. Without a doubt my favourite spot in Nicaragua.
- Volcan Concepcion represents the more difficult of the two volcano climbs on Ometepe. I imagine that in fine weather the views from the crater would be spectacular.