DISTANCE : 2181 miles (3510 km)
START : Mt. Katahdin, Baxter State Park, ME
FINISH : Springer Mountain, GA
MAPS / INFO :
- AT Data Book – Information on distances, water sources and other hiking related landmarks.
- AT Companion Guide – Handy for resupply, transport and town information.
- AT Guide books/Maps – not really necessary for this extremely well marked trail. Nonetheless, useful for background information and to know where you are geographically speaking.
- Click here to see an overview map of the AT from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy website.
- Loads of options. Don’t forsee having to carry more than 5 days food for any one stretch.
ROUTE / CONDITIONS :
- Well marked with white blazes from start to finish.
- Plan to begin during the autumn of 2012. Not ideal weather-wise, but will hopefully allow me to catch the best of the Fall colours. An additional bonus is that by mid-October, the trail should be far less crowded.