START: Larch Hill Pass
FINISH: About six miles past Flesher Pass
DISTANCE: 111 miles (178.5 km – includes approximately seven extra miles for Elbow Pass Detour).
DAILY AVERAGE: 37 miles (59.5 km)
TOTAL DISTANCE: 305 miles (490.7 km)
The Chinese Wall: The scenic Highlight of the Bob Marshall Wilderness is the Chinese Wall. A spectacular 1000 ft limestone rock escarpment, the CDT meanders its way along its base for approximately five miles, more than sufficient time for the author to trip arse over tit on two or three occasions, due to constantly looking skywards rather than paying attention to where he was going.
Scapegoat Wilderness: Included some gorgeous sections of trail on top of the Divide itself. From a distance of 150 yards, I spotted a bear and two cubs crossing from one side to the other.
NOTES & MUSINGS:
Five Most Memorable Walls:
– The Great Wall of China: Did a day hike of around 20 km along the wall in 2006.
– Berlin Wall-post 1990: Visited Berlin in 1997; some of the wall was left standing and had been decorated with all sorts of interesting graffiti and murals.
– Wailing wall in the Old City of Jerusalem: Visited in 1995. Fascinating fusion of architecture, history, religion, politics and tourist attraction.
– The Chinese Wall: See Above.
– The Wall: Not my favourite Pink Floyd album, but nonetheless still excellent.