START: Pie Town
FINISH: Doc Campbell’s
DISTANCE: 122 miles (196.3 km)
DAILY AVERAGE: 40.7 miles (65.5 km)
TOTAL DISTANCE: 2417.3 miles (3890.3 km)
The Gila: The CDT makes its serpentine way along the middle fork of the Gila River. With more than 80 river crossings, wet feet are a given. That being said, in such a dry year, none of the crossings were swift or above the knees. Squishing and sloshing through the scenic river canyon made for a refreshing change from the largely arid central and southern sections of New Mexico.
The Fusion: Aside from the hiking, the Gila Wilderness boasts other draw cards to waylay the weary and hungry (both culturally and digestively) thru hiker. Fascinating cliff dwellings, soothing hot springs and excellent home-made ice cream at Doc Campbell’s…… all-in-all a wonderful mixture of historical, thermal and culinary elements.
Five Favourite Canyon Hikes:
– Vikos Gorge, Pindos Horseshoe, Greece (2001)
– Grand Canyon, Hayduke Trail/Southwest Horseshoe (2012)
– Tararecua Canyon, Copper Canyon Region, Mexico (2005)
– Sinforosa Canyon, Copper Canyon Region, Mexico (2001)
– Jokulsargljufur Canyon, Iceland, 2000