Long day in the office……….mind beginning to wander …………..thinking about an upcoming hiking trip I have planned.
The Proclaimers, “I’m Gonna Be (500 miles)”, is on in the background ………….still love that song after all these years …… hmmm……what other songs do I know about walking?
Ten minutes pass.
Jeez, that’s a boatload of tunes……….. hold on, let me pare it down, throw in a suitably hyperbolic title and make a post out of it……………
So here it is, my completely subjective, Friday afternoon, too much time on the computer, shoulders are beginning to hunch listicle of the world’s greatest walking songs:
10. I Walk the Line (Johnny Cash) – After losing the “I”, they used the title of this song for the 2005 biopic of the ‘Man in Black’. How great was Joaquin Phoenix in the role of Johnny Cash? The guy may be a few biscuits short of a full packet, but he sure can act.
9. Walkin’ to New Orleans (Fats Domino) – In reality Fats didn’t do a lot of walking, but there’s no denying the guy could belt out a tune.
7. You’ll Never Walk Alone (Gerry & the Pacemakers) – There are a lot of excellent versions of this Rogers & Hammerstein classic (e.g. Elvis, Sinatra & Cash), but generations of Liverpool football fans can’t all be wrong can they?
5. Baby Elephant Walk (Henry Mancini) – The only instrumental on the list. Almost impossible not to bop up and down when you hear it. Seriously, how could you not like a song titled Baby Elephant Walk?
4. Walk This Way (Run DMC & Aerosmith) – Great number; the “daddy” of rap-rock tunes.
3. Walking On Sunshine (Katrina & the Waves) – The only one hit wonder band on the list………ok, ok………technically speaking they did have a couple of other songs that hit the charts, but really, who can remember them?
2. Walk On the Wildside (Lou Reed) – “Holly came from Miami F.L.A. / Hitch-hiked her way across the U.S.A./Plucked her eyebrows on the way/Shaved her legs and then he was a she/ She said, hey babe, take a walk on the wild side.” Gotta love Lou. In fact, I think I’m going to put on a Velvet Underground record as soon as I finish this post.
1. I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) / (The Proclaimers) – The song that inspired this post. The song that introduced a new generation to the word “haver.” The only song on the list that doesn’t have “walk”, “walkin” or “walking” in the title. The best walking song of all time!