Missing a sunrise whilst out in the wilderness, is the backcountry equivalent of listening to Deep Purple’s Smoke on the Water without catching the opening guitar riff.
Here are five reasons why I’m always up before the sun:
1. Every sunrise is a gift and I’ve never been one to tell Mother Nature, “thanks, but no thanks.”
2. If the animals are waking, why wouldn’t I follow suit? I’ve always felt at home in the woods, and if the rest of my family is up it seems only right that I should be as well.
3. There is an energy that exists at dawn that you don’t find at other times of the day. I choose to be walking amongst it; not catching Z’s in a sleeping bag underneath a piece of nylon.
4. My sense of wonder has never changed. The thrill I’d feel as a kid watching the sun rise over the Pacific Ocean, is the same at age 47 as it ever was growing up back in Australia.
5. I’m an early riser by nature. I really don’t have much choice in the matter. 😉