“We haven’t met anyone who’s logged more miles than Cam Honan.”
~ Backpacker Magazine (March, 2014)
Planning to hike the Appalachian, Pacific Crest or Continental Divide Trails? Looking for first hand information on the Himalayas, Andes, Alps, Lapland or a multitude of other trekking destinations around the globe?
You’ve come to the right place.
As of October, 2016, I’m offering a trip consulting service.
Since establishing The Hiking Life website in 2010, I have freely given advice on all things backpacking to folks that have contacted me.
However, in recent times the volume of messages has reached the point at which I am no longer able to give these enquiries the attention they deserve. We’re talking upwards of a couple of hours per day, just in answering hiking-related emails – most of which are trip planning and/or gear related.
If I was retired and spent my non-hiking hours downing margaritas in between shiatsu appointments, perhaps it would be a different story. However, unfortunately this is not the case (fingers crossed for 2017), and a consulting service seems to be the best option by which: (A) I can give the said enquiries the full attention they deserve, and; (B) I can be fairly compensated for the time I devote in doing so.
What’s on Offer?
- Trip itineraries that are tailored to the individuals goals and experience level.
- Environment/Season-specific gear suggestions.
- Logistical advice (e.g. Information regarding trailhead transport, resupply options, permits, visas, park regulations, etc.)
- Cultural considerations for the area in which you are interested.
- Regional-specific health & safety tips.
In order to get your money’s worth, before our consultation I suggest sending me through a brief email (firstname.lastname@example.org) addressing the following points:
- A few sentences describing your backpacking experience & current fitness level.
- A ballpark figure of your budget.
- How much time do you have available?
- What are your principal goals for the trip.
Consultations can either be via email, video/phone (Skype or Google Chat) conversation or a combination of the two. Prices include pre-consultation time spent by yours truly preparing relevant trip information (i.e. based upon your initial email):
30 minutes: US$45
1 Hour: US$65
(Note: Payments are made via Paypal).
Before Forking Over Your Cash……..
Check out the hundreds of pages of free information contained in the drop down menus on the top navigation bar. Whether your inquiries are trip, skill or gear related, chances are you might find what you’re looking for.
If that doesn’t do the trick and/or you are looking for more personal attention, drop me a line (email@example.com) and we can set up a time.
Cam “Swami” Honan