Distance : 19.9 miles (32 km)
Avg. Time : 2 days
Start / Finish :
- The Divide – Routeburn shelter.
- For information on getting to and from the trailheads, see the NZ Department of Conservation (DOC) website.
- November – April
- February/March is generally best weather-wise.
Maps / Info :
- See the DOC website for a basic map (all you need) and up-to-date information on the walk.
- The Lonely Planet guide Tramping in New Zealand has a map and trekking notes.
Route / Conditions :
- As with all designated Great Walks, the Routeburn Track is well marked and easy to follow.
- To avoid some of the crowds, consider hiking late in the afternoons or very early in the mornings
- The scenic highlight is the section between Routeburn Falls Hut and Lake McKenzie. Incredible views.
- Consider combining the Routeburn with the Caples Track (via Howden Hut) and/or the Cascade Saddle Route. See the Wakatipu-Matukituki Route for details.
- Huts or camping. Due to its status as a Great Walk, all accommodation on the Routeburn needs to be booked in advance. Note that camping places are virtually always available.
- One of NZ’s most popular tramps due to its spectacular scenery and relatively easy access. I recommend combining it with one or both of the other walks mentioned above.