Distance : 16 km round trip from Las Pailas Ranger Station.
Avg.Time : 5 – 6 hours.
Start / Finish :
- Las Pailas or Santa Elena Ranger Stations, Rincon de la Vieja National Park.
- Transport to the national park can be arranged through the tourist office in Liberia. Alternatively, regular buses will take you as far as Curubande, from where it is a 10km walk to Las Pailas.
Season : December to April offers the best chance of views.
Maps / Info :
- You can pick up a basic trail map at either of the Ranger Stations mentioned above.
- For general information on Rincon de La Vieja National Park see Costa Rica National Parks, Liberia Costa Rica info and Lonely Planet’s Costa Rica guidebook.
Route / Conditions :
- As you can see from the photos below, the weather was pretty ordinary during much of my time on Rincon de la Vieja.
- For photos taken in clearer weather click here.
- I may not have seen much in the way of views, but I did spend an enjoyable couple of hours post-hike soaking in the sulphurous hot springs, situated 3km west of Santa Elena Ranger Station. Fantastic spot.
- No problems camping in the National Park. Alternatively, basic accommodation is available at both ranger stations.
- There is no way around it. I had pretty ordinary weather and saw very little. That being said, going from the photos I have seen and the opinions of others who have hiked Rincon in clearer weather, it appears to be a truly spectacular place. May be worth another visit one of these years!