Avg.Time : 6 – 7 Hours
Start / Finish :
- Kurodani – Kitakomatsu.
- Both trailheads are easily accessible via public transport from Kyoto. See the Hiking in Japan Lonely Planet guide for details.
Season : April-November
Maps / Info :
- Lonely Planet Hiking in Japan (2009) has trekking notes and a basic map. Along with a compass, this is all you need for navigation purposes.
Route / Conditions :
- Easy to follow route, however, care should be taken in the gorge during wet weather, as ladders and chains tend to be slippery.
- Ample water during the first half of the hike, however fill up before you climb out of the gorge, as there is no water available from there until the end of the hike.
- Very good day hike. The gorge is spectacular and views from the ridge on a clear day would be superb.