Distance : 10.8 miles (17.4 km)
Avg.Time : 6 – 7 hours
Start / Finish :
- Mendenhall Lake Campground
- Juneau city buses will drop you at the junction of Mendenhall Loop and Montana Creek Rds. From this point it is one mile walk to the trailhead.
Season : June to September
Maps / Info :
Route / Conditions :
- The trail is well signed and easy to follow up until the rocky outcrop viewpoint, which signifies the end of the West Glacier Trail.
- From there, the route is sporadically marked with cairns up until the summit of Mt.McGinnis.
- Scenic camping options above the tree line.
- Jaw-dropping views of Mendenhall Glacier and Auke Bay make this one of Alaska’s finest day hikes.