START : Road’s End, Kings Canyon National Park, CA.
FINISH : Mono Village, Yosemite National Park, CA.
MAPS / INFO :
- Steve Roper, The Sierra High Route: Traversing Timberline Country. Written by the man who pioneered the SHR. Includes 1:24,000 maps and hiking notes.
- OnTheTrail.org: Free downloadable 1:24,000 topo maps.
- Tom Harrison 1:63,360 topo maps (4): King’s Canyon, Mono Divide, Mammoth and Yosemite.
- Click here for an overview map of the SHR.
ROUTE / CONDITIONS :
- A largely cross-country hike, which as the name suggests, takes the walker on a high-level route (virtually all between 9000 and 11,000 ft.) through some of the Sierra’s most pristine wilderness.