DISTANCE : 2700 miles approx. (4345 km)
START : Waterton Lakes National Park, US/Canada border.
FINISH : Columbus, New Mexico, US/Mexico Border.
MAPS / INFO :
- Jonathan Ley’s CDT Maps
- Jim Wolf CDTS guides
- DeLorme Atlas’ : Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico.
- Click here to see an overview map of the trail.
- Combination maildrop (80%) and buy as I go (20%).
- Frequency of supply points is similar to the PCT; on average every 5 days.
ROUTE / CONDITIONS :
- Toughest of the Triple Crown trails from a navigational and logistical perspective.
- Not as established as the AT and PCT. Plenty of scope for alternative routes.
- I will be doing the CDT during the summer of 2012. Weather-wise I don’t forsee too many issues. Perhaps some afternoon electrical storms in the Rockies. Temperature-wise, things will be getting pretty hot in New Mexico; may carry a mylar-coated umbrella……….for purposes of shade rather than style…………not that sporting a parasol in the desert isn’t fashionable…………not sure how your average New Mexican rancher feels about the issue……..ramble, ramble……….