DISTANCE : 743 miles (1196 km) approx.
START : Cap Gaspe, Quebec
FINISH : Mt.Katahdin, Baxter State Park, Maine
MAPS / INFO :
- The trail winds its way through Quebec, New Brunswick and Maine.
- International Appalachian Trail website: First and last stop for information. Contains trail notes, logistical data and downloadable maps. Dick Anderson and all the staff at the respective IAT Chapters are incredibly helpful.
- Topographic maps for the Quebec section can be ordered direct from the IAT-Quebec website.
- Click here for an overview map of the IAT.
ROUTE / CONDITIONS :
- After some deliberation, I decided to stick with the original IAT from Cap Gaspe to Katahdin, rather than extend the hike through the newly established sections of Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland/Labrador. There were a few reasons behind my decision: 1. I wanted to hike the Superior Hiking Trail during the Fall; 2. At the time of writing (June 2011) it appears that there is still a great deal of road walking involved in recently added sections, and; 3. Chances are my arrival in Newfoundland would coincide with the height of the storm season. Great weather for the pub; not so good for hiking………..on second thought, it doesn’t sound so bad.